The Master's programme in Photonics is composed of mandatory courses corresponding to 37.5 higher education credits, elective courses corresponding to 52.5 higher education credits and a Master’s thesis corresponding to 30 higher education credits. The mandatory course package starts with a basic course (Optics and Optical Design) which introduces the basic tools later required in the programme. Three additional courses (Lasers, Optoelectronics and Optical Communication and Advanced Optics and Lasers) provide deeper knowledge and understanding in the field of photonics.
The links below will direct you to Course website LTH and the course syllabi.
These courses should be taken in semester 1 and 2.
- Optics and Optical Design, 7.5 credits
- Lasers, 7.5 credits
- Elective courses and/or elective mandatory courses*, 15 credits
- Optoelectronics and Optical Communication, 7.5 credits
- Advanced Optics and Lasers, 7.5 credits
- Elective courses, 15 credits
- Elective courses, 30 credits, or
- Master's thesis half time + elective courses, 15 credits
- Master's thesis full time, or
- continuation of Master's thesis half time + elective courses, 15 credits
You must choose one of the two following elective-mandatory courses, to be included in your degree. The other can be taken as an elective course.
*The recommendation is that you study the elective-mandatory course (of your choice) in semester 1.
Elective courses are chosen within three areas of photonics: communication, diagnostics/interaction as well as component technology. The purpose with the division into areas is to give an orientation among the offered course topics. You can freely choose whether you want to take courses from just one area (depth) or mix between different areas (breadth) depending on your interests and career perspectives.
Diagnostics / Interaction
- Light Matter Interaction, 7.5 credits
- Laser Based Combustion Diagnostics, 7.5 credits
- Quantum mechanics advanced course 1, 7.5 credits
- Quantum information, 7.5 credits
- Experimental Biophysics, 15 credits
- Biophotonics, 7.5 credits
- Digital Communication, 7.5 credits
- Information Theory, 7.5 credits
- Radar and Remote Sensing, 7.5 credits
- High Performance Fiber Networks, 7.5 credits
- Anntenna Technology, 7.5 credits
- Digital Communication advanced course, 7.5 credits
- Advanced Course in Electrical and Information Technology, 7.5 credits
Nano-technology and components
- Semiconductor Physics, 7.5 credits
- The physics of Low-Dimensional Structures and Quantum Devices, 7.5 credits
- Advanced Processing of Nanostructures, 7.5 credits
- Processing and Device Technology, 7.5 credits