The term exchange student implies that your home university has a formal agreement for exchange studies with Lund University. You apply to the Faculty of Engineering LTH via your International Office at home. Once you have been selected and nominated by your home university, you will receive information about application procedures and can apply for exchange studies at the Faculty of Engineering LTH, Lund University.
How to submit your application
Applications are made online semester-wise: https://exchange.lth.se
Username and password will be sent to nominated students via e-mail.
1. The following supporting documents in English are required:
- An official transcript of all your previous academic studies (including 'classe preparatorie' for french students)
- A list of ongoing courses (if not included in the transcript)
- Preferably course descriptions of the courses listed in your transcript of records.
- Statement of purpose and CV
- Copy of your passport (underline your first name)
- Portfolio is required if you are applying to Architecture or Industrial Design courses
2. Choose courses adding up to 30 credits and state one alternative per course. Check that all courses, including your alternatives can be accredited back home before coming to Lund. It is not possible to change courses after semester has started.
3. Sign up for the SUSA-course (Swedish language course) and mentor programme at the same time.
- Autumn semester and academic year: April 1 - April 25
- Spring semester: October 1 - October 25
You must follow a full time study plan of 30 credits each semester during the exchange period. Please be aware that you must have a full-time study plan to be accepted for exchange studies at the Faculty of Engineering LTH.
Keep in mind that:
- You should aim to have a well-balanced study plan with an average workload of 15 credits in each study period.
- You are allowed to combine courses freely from the different engineering programmes. It is your responsibility to check and verify the specific requirements for each course and prepare your schedule. Under courses for exchange students you will be able to find the courses that are being offered as well as information about schedule.
- Once your study plan has been settled before your arrival to Lund, you will be registered in the Lund University study documentation system (Ladok) for the courses that have been pre-approved by the responsible professors. More information about that will be given to after arrival in Lund on the Pre-Registration Day.
Academic year at the Faculty of Engineering LTH
Study period 1 (sp1): September – October
Study period 2 (sp2): November – January
Study period 3 (sp3): January – Mars
Study period 4 (sp4): April – June
For information about the academic calendar
The semester at LTH is divided into two study periods. Some courses are given over the whole semester, but most courses are only offered once a year.
Changes of courses
Changes in the study plan for the semester after the deadline (please check Timeframe - course application and key dates) are in principle not accepted! Please think carefully when preparing your study plan. The Faculty of Engineering LTH does not have an Add & Drop courses period.
Discuss your choice of courses in terms of validation with your home university beforehand including alternative courses.
Please note that no ECTS grades are awarded for any of the courses offered at LTH.
- 5 (five), 4 (four), 3 (three) or U (fail). A higher figure signifies a better grade. On the course syllabus it is marked as TH.
- Pass, G, (Godkänd) or Fail, U, (Underkänd). On the course syllabus it is marked as UG.
- Degree project are only awarded Pass, G, (Godkänd) or Fail, U, (Underkänd).
- Pass, G (Godkänd) or Fail, U (Underkänd).
Industrial design courses:
- 5 (five), 4 (four), 3(three) or U (fail). A higher figure signifies a better grade. In the course syllabus it is marked as TH.
- Pass, G(Godkänd) or Fail, U(Underkänd). In the course syllabus it is marked as UG.
English language requirements
Exchange students must have a high proficiency of English in order to succeed with their academic studies at Lund University - a level equivalent to the requirements for International Master students in Sweden is recommendable.
Please note that we do not require any official documentation such as a TOEFL or IELTS test result for incoming exchange students.
Double degree students should provide a language certificate. An institutional certificate is sufficient.
Questions about the application procedure?
Please send an email to email@example.com